In case the headaches are of a chronic nature, there is probably an underlying cause that should be addressed. Usually when a patient comes for acupuncture to treat their headaches, they have already seen their medical doctor and tried different medications with mixed results.
The underlying conditions that acupuncture can help with that might cause headaches are as follows:
- Stress related
- Structural related (cervical spine – neck, jaw, back of neck)
- Hormonal related (Women – in some correlation to menstrual cycle)
- High blood pressure related.
- Sinus related.
- As one of cold symptoms.
- Hypoglycemic related.
- Circulation issues (Vertebral artery – or other)
- After a fall on the head or secondary to whiplash (for example after a car accident).
When using acupuncture to resolve chronic headaches we will use the Traditional Chinese (TCM) diagnostic approach (questions, pulse taking and structural assessment ).
The treatment will include treating the constitutional aspect of the body of the person (balancing the Qi / life force of the internal organs ) and also the treating the area of symptoms according to which meridian (energy channel ) is affecting that area.
For more information please click on the link to read the full article.